Popular Posts

Sunday, June 9, 2013

"Quality, Taste, and Style" by Tim Gunn

I've been reading a book that Tim Gunn wrote. Though it's about fashion, which truthfully I don't really care about, it's also been about learning to embrace yourself, to be happy with who you really are inside, not being ashamed to show your true self, things like that.
The thing is, well what I've noticed so far, is that its not as easy in reality to accept yourself in all ways. There are so many expectations of people nowadays, and its hard to live up to them. The main struggle with acceptance is just about trying to fit in and to not be an outcast. I know a bunch of girls who get all worked up over wearing makeup and making sure their hair is just perfect and buying the right kind of clothes and saying the right things and talking to the right people.. the list goes on and on. Mostly, I feel sorry for those people. That's because while they are trying to be a person they aren't, I'm having fun hanging out with who I like hanging out with, not worrying about what I say or do, and not letting other people's judging get in the way of how I act towards myself and the people around me. Believe me, it took a long time to be able to understand all that, and it also took work. You can't just say you're going to change and expect to be completely different the next day. Your mind doesn't work that way. Nobody's does. That's why people give up on being themselves--it takes time.
I think that overall, even though I've only read about 5 chapters, this book is going to be about expressing yourself in different ways, and in the end, it could help me to have a better point of view in the issue of acceptance of yourself. It's good that authors can have the ability to help make choices for readers. It shows them that they aren't completely alone, but also to show them how to take advantage of their independence.

No comments:

Post a Comment